Job posted 7/8/20. Taking applications through 7/31/20.
Come work near Loma Linda, CA, with The Best Care Team on the planet! You’ll be taking care of my husband, a patient who is paralyzed with a fully functioning mind. In fact his mind is more highly functioning than most (think Stephen Hawking); guaranteed you’ll love him upon meeting. You’ll learn a lot because:
- He is fighting one of the worst diseases there is, ALS (non-contagious!)
- Each member of the care team is highly experienced in their field.
See my husband’s appreciation for his caregivers at pbs.org.
- You must be alert while on duty. This isn’t a typical caregiving job where you’re primarily there for companionship or to make sure the patient doesn’t wander off. Instead, you must monitor this patient’s face to assess his needs.
- You must be empathetic and intuitive. You must be able to assess a situation and identify when procedure changes are needed and quickly adapt to them.
- Occasionally the job is a bit physically intense, so you must be energetic and relatively strong and in good health.
- The job is a minimum of 24 hours per week. We prefer that you work 32-40 hours per week if possible. Shifts are 8 hours long and will be a variety of days and nights, including some weekends. Additional hours are frequently available. If you must have a second job, we require that you give priority to our schedule.
- An 8-week probationary period is required to demonstrate you have the aptitude to handle the day-to-day job duties.
- We prefer if you are a CNA or have experience with trachs, g-tubes, ventilators, and/or hoyer lifts—but it’s not required (training will be provided).
- Immediate dismissal for falling asleep on the job.
Job duties (training provided)
Basic ($15-$17 per hour)
- Monitoring patient while he is awake and asleep. Suctioning his trach tube and mouth as needed to clear his airway
- Moving patient’s joints
- Positioning the patient to help him get comfortable
- Rolling patient as needed
- Feeding and administering meds through g-tube
Advanced ($17-$26 per hour)
- Daily percussion and lung care
- Daily care and cleaning of trach and g-tube
- Showering patient
- Using machines and equipment like nebulizers, ventilators, cough assists, suction machines, a hoyer lift, communication equipment, a shower chair, and a motorized wheelchair
- Time and a half for overtime (any time over 8 hours per day).
- You accrue sick leave.
- We are quarantined with the exception of visiting caregivers and home health nurses and RTs. We enforce strict rules including requiring masks and frequent hand washing/sanitizing.
To apply, please send us a message using the form below and include your qualifications, relevant experience, a reference’s name and phone number, the city you live in, and your phone number. Apply as soon as possible to increase your chances (two positions are available, one starts soon, 7/20/20). We’re looking forward to hearing from you!